Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Who's NOT going to roll a DK?

WLK seems to be getting closer and closer, and I've been reading lots about it on places like WoWinsider and the like, and their breakfast topic this morning talked about switching mains when the expac hits. This got me thinking as I read through the comments posted on the topic and as people continually mentioned how they were going to roll a death knight.

So, who's not going to roll a death knight?

There are so many interesting aspects to the class, at least as far as I can tell from what blizz has thrown our way so far.

1) The new mechanic - not rage, not mana, not combat points... runes. Neat.
2) They can tank, and we always need more tanks, and they'll start higher level, so it's not as far to go... Sounds promising.
3) They cast spells and stuff. I like spells... and casting.

This kind of hybrid appeal, plus the new mechanic for abilities is just so interesting that I'd imagine the VAST majority of people who buy the expac are going to be rolling one of these DKs. Especially since it is clear that you will not be converting one of your current characters into the DK, so there is no fear of loosing all that work with your main.

So, who do I think isn't going to roll a death knight.

1) People who don't buy the expac. Obviously, but I believe that like WLK, they are going to start to quickly be left behind by the game as blizz continues to develop content for the new levels and tweak things in the expansion, TBC and Vanilla will be left in the dust as $80 of investment to play the latest part of the game.

2) People who really don't want to tank. Tanking for me is... not a whole lot of fun. I've done it a few times at low levels and taken a couple characters to the mid 20s, grouped and tanked, and I just didn't find the same enjoyment in it as I did in the PewPew game. I think the idea of me getting hit stresses me out, and considering that's pretty key to being a tank, I'm thinking it's not for me. Even the allure of new mechanics, tempting though they may be don't really seem like enough to grab me. (Unless my guildies who all will roll one as soon as they can convince me that it's worth it).

3) People who don't like "evil" characters. If you are alliance, (because I think this would be less of a problem generally if you are already the "bad guys" on horde side), and have always stayed away from warlocks because they are "evil", I don't really see you picking up a death knight. Seems a little too dark for ya.

4) People who really want to progress on their mains and don't have the time to devote to alts will probably just stick with their main, and while they might unlock the ability to create a death knight, and technically create one, I don't see them going very far with it.

I wonder among those I know, who might be resisting the urge when WLK hits to summon upon the powers of darkness. We'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Kyrilean said...

I'll be one of those that roll a DK quite possibly only for the additional professions. I like many others have devoted too much time to my main to abandon him completely. I also don't have enough time to try and maintain (2) level 70s. I have alts sure, but the highest is at level 28.